Thursday, July 11, 2013

{Untitled}

I got up and went for a jog this morning. I have been doing pretty well going to the gym at least a couple times a week and then getting some outside exercise at least one day on the weekend, but it occurred to me that to get the body I want, I need to run. Now you can argue that running isn't the only way to get in shape, and I totally believe that. It is just that it seems to be the most efficient. Matt has been running 3 miles, 3 times a week for almost three months and he needs new underwear. Not just new pants, new underwear! (And that little tidbit probably falls into the category of things he wishes I wouldn't share!) Also, if I want to run the Hot Chocolate 5K on October 6 then I need to start running. Sure, any physical activity will build up my stamina, but I need to run if I want to run. And stop eating cookies....I must stop eating cookies...

Anyway, today Margie was up so I took her in our sweet jogging stroller that one of Matt's co-workers generously gifted us. Margie is a little terror and probably would have scaled the bookshelves in our room while Matt was in the shower, so I decided it was safer to take her. I wish I was kidding about the bookshelf thing...

Going for a jog first thing in the morning has so many merits. It is still cool out. I have a clear view of the mountains from the Commons - the afternoon haze hasn't settled in yet. I have my workout for the day done. If I do nothing else with my day at last I have some physical activity under my belt. And I can still come home and have my lazy morning with a cup of coffee and time on the computer while the girls watch some cartoons. Or I can jump in the shower and we can be ready for whatever adventures (of course I would have to bring Margie into the shower, but she loves it!)

The thing is, I hate getting out of bed in the morning. I haven't been sleeping well for the last week, and especially not the past two days thanks to our neighbor and all the drama of putting in our fence. I have very quickly reverted back to snuggling in bed with the girls in the morning until we absolutely have to get out and start our day. I am just not a morning person. I can be if I have to, but if I don't have to be, I would rather lounge in bed. I am somewhat of a night owl and going to bed early just doesn't work for me. I think I just need to get myself in the mind frame that running is a "have to do" thing.

At any rate, my run for the day is done, I've had my coffee and computer time, I am taking the girls to the rec to swim in a little bit, and the rest of my day is wide open - though I should probably clean a little and go to the grocery store. Now I am off to unload the dishwasher while I contemplate whether or not I should shower before going to the pool....



1 comment:

Jen B. said...

You go girl! I hate getting up in the morning too, but totally agree that I feel better having done it! Keep up the great work!