Monday, November 23, 2009

Green Smoothies

Well wouldn't you know...a couple days before Thanksgiving and we ALL aren't feeling well. Hubby came home early from work, I have had a headache all day and body aches on and off for a couple days, and Chickie is actually pointing to the tissues telling me "nose", as is "look mommy, I have boogers running down my face." What to do, what to do? Whip up a big ol' batch of green smoothies of course! Many of my favorite bloggers, such as Green and Crunchy and Frugal Babe talk about green smoothies all the time for their health benefits. I make them from time to time, but decided with all of us feeling a little under the weather, a big batch was in order tonight.

But Kelly, you are saying, I thought these were green smoothies. Usually they are, however when you add a whole bunch of frozen blueberries, they take on a purplish tint. The great things about these smoothies is they are packed with nutrition! And you can customize to your liking. Our smoothies today consisted of two bananas, two cups of frozen blueberries, two cups of OJ, and for the green part, almost an entire bag of spinach. With the berries there, you can't even taste the spinach. I blended the OJ and spinach together first. Then I added the blueberries and blended again. Finally I broke the bananas into pieces and gave the blender a final whirl. Other great additions are frozen peaches, frozen strawberries, frozen mango. You can use kale or chard for your greens, though I prefer spinach. For your liquid, just plain water works great. I like the little zing the OJ gives it, personally. You could also do milk or soy milk, but I don't do soy (hubby does). These babies are yummy and nutritious!

No comments: