Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Pickles!

A couple months ago, my mom called and said to mark my calendar for August 16. We were going to be making pickles. I did as instructed and didn't really think anything of it. I had never made pickles before but had been reading about canning and pickling a bit, so it sounded like fun. Man was I in for a surprise! It was a whole family event, including my aunt and uncle and grandparents. It included a bushel of pickling cucumbers (I guess they are just called pickles) and 4 dozen quart sized wide mouth canning jars. A little garlic, some dill, a little of this and a little of that and we were ready to go.
With 8 adults, there was plenty of help for the many jobs, including wrangling a rambunctious toddler. There were pickles to be scrubbed and garlic to be peeled. We were able to do this outside, before the rain moved in. We had a great little assembly line going with me taking the sanitized jars out of the dishwasher and adding the dill and garlic. My grandma was in charge of adding the pepper, hot dried red pepper and alum. My uncle and Matt were the jar fillers. My mom added the brine, while Aunt Beth added the lids. My dad put on the rings and grandpa was the counter. Steph helped out a little of everywhere, as well as watched Lily, and Jackie was in charge of running to the store for more vinegar and canning jars. Everything went smoothly and it was so much fun! Now, in five short weeks we will be able to enjoy the fruits of our labors! I have my bakers dozen quarts of pickles doing their thing in my parents basement. I can't wait to give them a try. I think we are going to make this an annual tradition. And I think next year Lily will be perfect for adding a couple cloves of garlic to each jar.

Sorry, no pictures! We were busy! I think Jackie may have taken a few. If so, I will get those uploaded!

No comments: