Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Day at the Park

Okay, it was more like a couple hours at the park. The weather was so nice today! I don't think it even reached 80, which is my kind of weather. The sun was shining, a breeze was blowing...it was just perfect. I know Lily has been itching to get out, and to be honest, so have I! I feel like I have been a bad mommy this summer. My three year old is actually sick of cartoons. I mean, what kid doesn't want to watch more cartoons? It is just that it has been super hot, super humid, super rainy, and super mosquito-y. Add in a pregnant mommy and a house under construction, and you get a lot of PBS and Sprout watching. Anyway, I knew we needed to get out. I really wanted to go to the Arboretum or something more exciting, but the mosquitos have been so bad and Lily just gets eaten alive, despite bug spray. And then she reacts very badly to the bites, swelling up and miserably itchy. I decided that a park nearby seemed the best bet. It was cool enough that it didn't unreasonable to dress us both in long pants, socks and tennis shoes. I sprayed her with bug spray before we even left. This park has a big sand area, which she loves (I figured less bugs in sand?) and isn't all that shady, so I thought it would be perfect. It was! I didn't notice any bugs at all. And I don't think Lily has any new bites besides the two she woke up with this morning. There must have been a mosquito in her room. I would say she looked like a happy girl at the park!

After we got home from the park, I parked the van in the street and Lily rode her bike and drew with chalk while I sat and watched her and read a book. Really, the park is close enough to walk to, but I tend to have a lot of back pain if I do much physical activity. My pain is exactly where I hurt my back when I threw it out in January and I am hoping that it feels better after I deliver. I had started seeing a chiropractor and felt much better, but then I found out I was pregnant and stopped treatment. I really hope the pain resolves after the baby is born. It kind of sucks that too much walking, like a day at the zoo, or even a trip to the park, has me almost unable to move the next day! Enough complaining! I am so blessed to be pregnant and I know that, but I guess I am a complainer by nature! Anyway, we came in and had some lunch and I cleaned up the kitchen while Lily played a bit. I put on some cartoons and Lily was so good to let me doze on the couch for a bit. She has been pretty good about letting me get in a little rest on the couch each afternoon, even though she doesn't nap anymore. I started dinner (two nights in a row!) and we went back outside to play and wait for Matt to get home. I am bound and determined this week to make dinner since Matt is home. He has been out of town a lot and we have been eating out a lot, or Matt has been cooking. I hate that I don't have the energy to be my normal domestic goddess! And since there is little point in cleaning since the house is a construction zone with sanding done each night, I figure at least I can make a home cooked meal and not feel like a total slacker!

No comments: