Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This Too Shall Pass...I Hope!!

We are about three weeks into what can only be described as the terrible threes. I patted myself on the back for so long because Lily never really had the "terrible twos". She has always been very verbal, so we never had much of issue understanding what she wanted. About six months ago, her behaviour started getting a little, well, naughty. She wouldn't listen, threw some tantrums, and so on. But the past couple weeks..whoa! It is like she isn't even the same child. One minute she is happy as can be, and the next she is kicking, screaming, yelling, hitting. At first I thought it was boredom. We have been watching a lot of cartoons the past couple weeks while mommy laid on the couch trying not to puke. And I thought maybe extreme cabin fever had set in. We have had the longest winter ever. And maybe it has something to do with transitioning out of the daily afternoon nap. But I think what I really need to admit to myself is we hit that rough stage that all new parents are warned about. And while I certainly wouldn't consider us new parents anymore, this stage is new to us. I find myself questioning daily if I am really cut out for this parenting thing. Lily is pleasant and then she is horrible. I am practically tip-toeing around trying not to set her off. I am learning her triggers. If she isn't ready to change activities (or leave the park, swim lessons, etc) then I can expect a meltdown. If she gets hungry, she is super moody (as am I!) I am getting to the point that I don't even want to go anywhere anymore.
While I may be learning what sets Lily off, while I may be able to curb some issues by keeping her belly full, what I can't seem to do is figure out how to stop the tantrums mid tantrum. I don't know what to do to calm her down. Sometimes she calms down in the blink of an eye, and we are best friends two seconds later. I just don't know how to get her attention in the midst of meltdown, especially out in public. I can warn her that I am going to take her toys away, and she will tell me she wants me to take her toys away.
I am at my wits end most days, but as everyone keeps telling me...this too shall pass!!







No comments: