Sunday, October 11, 2009

Oh What A Night

No, not that song they always play at weddings. You know which one I'm talking about? I like that song. Anyway...Tuesday night. LONGEST.NIGHT.EVER!!
It started Tuesday afternoon with a cough. A cough that a little more worrisome than a normal little cough. I knew I was going to have to keep a close eye on it. Fast forward until about 10:30. Lily put up a fight going to bed and was very restless. She was coughing, and crying, and wheezy. Quite the combination. But she was also...barking? The cough was horrible and it was upsetting her, making her cry harder, making her wheeze and gasp for breath. We decided to take her to the ER. The minute I told the receptionist she had a strange cough, she looked at me and said "Croup." Two hours in the ER, oral steroids, a breathing treatment, some stickers, a new stuffed animal and apple juice for the first time ever, and we were on our way home. Lily was feeling better - apparently someone forgot to tell her you aren't supposed to like going to the ER - and we were all exhausted. We pulled in around 1 and decided Lily should sleep in bed with us so we could keep a close eye and ear on her. She fell right asleep, and Matt and I fell asleep probably around 1:30. The thing is, Lily likes to sleep on her belly and gets mad if she can't thrash and roll about. So about 2:30 I put her in her crib so we could all get some much needed rest. Around 4:30 I woke up to the most God awful racket. It was coming from our laundry closet. I had been doing laundry all day, but there wasn't anything running when I went to bed, so it couldn't be a severely unbalanced load. We hadn't turned the heat on yet, so it couldn't be the furnace (which shares the closet). I opened up the laundry closet to see the pipes that run into our house from outside banging and shaking. I wake Matt up and he is just as perplexed as I am. Not sure what to do, he calls the non-emergency police/water dept. As he is making the phone call, I notice the street out front is wet. I had just prior stepped out into the back to see if there was anything going on out there, so I knew it wasn't raining. Then I noticed the split in the street, where it is bulging and spewing water. Ah-ha! A water main break. The police and water department show up, we move our cars down the street, as do the neighbors. Our one neighbor doesn't heed the warning of the police officer NOT to drive over the bulging pavement, and sure enough his SUV takes a nose dive straight through the street. The water still hasn't been turned off, so now it is really pouring out. The water department guy puts a horse up to block off the hole. Because some other person may miss the SUV sticking out of the street and drive over it, I guess. They finally turn the water off and our pipes stop knocking and shaking. We watch the tow truck maneuver the SUV out of the hole. Not pretty for the car, let me tell ya! Thankfully Lily slept through all the racket and enjoyed the next day watching the city guys patch the pipe and street.

No comments: