Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Little of This, A Little of That

This post is probably gonna be all over the place. Consider yourself warned.

I have a cold. I don't typically like to whine about being sick. I hate when people whine about being sick...like normal sick (you know, colds, the flu, icky stomach bugs). I am more of the mind frame "suck it up, this too shall pass." Compassion doesn't even come close to high on my list of attributes. But I am getting better. Like so many other areas of my life, this is someplace I have grown immensely since becoming a mommy. I can feel God working in me, molding me into a more compassionate person. It is kinda hard not to feel that way when you have a child. And, strangely, I really like feeling like a work in progress. Bizarre, I know. Consider me clay.

But I have a cold and I don't think I realized the full oompf this thing had until about 7:45. And of course while I desire nothing more than sleep right now, my nasal passages have other ideas. I can't breathe lying down. I can breathe moderately better sitting up. I can breathe with the most ease (of a person totally congested) while standing, but seeing as it is almost midnight and I am achy enough to have taken some Advil (I am sooo not a pill popper!) sitting is the best I can do. Breathing be damned! Ha! I told it!

I suppose I should have been tipped off that this was coming. Chickie had a cold on Friday. Big honkin' boogers, cough, sneezes, the works. But in true amazing Chickie healing fashion she was good as new within 36 hours. I am praying for the same good fortune. And while I can't be sure that Chickie wasn't just being particularly, um...toddlerish, this afternoon, she sure had me wiped by bedtime.

I haven't posted in a while. I am lazy like that. I am the laziest person I know. We haven't been doing much. Lily is talking up a storm and has new words every day. I actually have to watch my sailor mouth now because soon she will be repeating that which I don't specifically intend her to. Like "MaMu". Matt calls me MaMu, he is Dadu and Chickie is sometimes also known as Babu. Now, however, I am not longer Mommy. I am Mamu. That husband of mine swears he didn't coach her into calling me such, but I don't believe him. And I had just started to enjoy actually being referred to as Mommy, and not just when she was hollerin' to get out of bed in the morning. It took her forever to actually call me Mommy, and now it has been undone. Occasionally we chill in the pool. We go on walks sometimes. Oh yeah. I have been going to the gym in the morning. Lily does the childcare thing, I do the work on my blubber thing. It is good for both of us. Now that it finally feels like summer (humid, high 80s or 90s) I am more inclined to do nothing. This summer weather is for the, I don't know, some hot weather animal. Or for my friends who have been lamenting the lack of summer thus far. Personally, I have no problem with 65 degree days in July. That is my kind of weather.

On Friday night one of my bestest friends came down and we went out to dinner. And then picked up some wine. And then put it in the fridge to chill while we went to McDonald's for coffee. And then came home and drank wine on the deck and chatted the evening away. Jen is the greatest. We have been friends for a million years. Or like 20-something. She has four amazing kiddos and makes mothering look easy. I struggle with one kid. Don't know how she does it, but she is my idol! (Love you Jen!) It was great to get out - to go out to eat and not worry about someone throwing food on the floor or screaming or getting fussy.

Okay, that is enough rambling. I will leave you with a few pictures of Chickie, since I know that is why ya'll tune in anyway. Forgive my southern-ness. I did spend a good number of years south of I-80. Might as well be the deep south down there compared to Chicago. It won't happen again. Probably.

Toodles.









1 comment:

Jen B. said...

I just read this post! Love you too :)