Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New Tricks...and the Continuing Sleep Saga

Lily has a couple new tricks lately. She has rolled a couple times from her tummy to her back. It has only happened a couple times, but I was able to catch it on video. I will try to post it once Matt can edit it because I have no idea how to, and it is about 3 minutes into a video of her mostly just lying there. Another new trick she is working on is taking her pacifier out of her mouth and putting it back in. She has no trouble pulling it out, but only gets it in about half the time. She sure seems to be enjoying herself practicing though, and she doesn't seem to get frustrated when she can't get it back in properly...she just chews on the edge. She is so funny.
Another thing we are continuing to work on is sleep. I honestly don't know who has more sleep problems, me or her. No matter how tired I am when I go to bed, I absolutely can't fall asleep. I will lie there for sometimes two hours. And even more annoying is all those thoughts that run through your head as you are trying to fall asleep. You know...all those really bad things that can happen. I guess that is one thing I didn't think about before having a baby...that I will live in fear every moment of every day that something bad will happen. But mostly it is only at night. Right now, this minute, I am not so afraid something bad it going to happen because she is sleeping soundly in her crib and I have run in to check on her 10 times in the hour and a half she has been down. Neurotic...yes I am, thank you very much. I think part of the reason I have trouble falling asleep at night is because I am so sure Lily is going to wake up any minute that I psych myself out...why bother falling asleep when I will be up in a couple minutes anyway. I am sure as I write this things will change, but Lily has taken good naps for maybe the past week. Sometimes she goes right down, but sometimes it takes me up to an hour to get her down. When it takes a long time, I know it is because she is over-tired, so I try to get her down as soon as I start seeing signs she is tired. She has been sleeping for at least two hours, sometimes closer to three, and in her crib. She has also been going down around 8 every night for a couple weeks. She isn't sleeping through the night, or even close, but we are getting there. When we were at the pediatricians the other day, she recommended that maybe we let her cry it out for a couple nights. Matt isn't so fond of that idea, so I thought I would try it while he is out of town. The first night I let her cry for ten minutes and couldn't take it anymore. Last night she cried for about a half an hour before I got up to feed her. I know that a lot of doctors recommend crying it out, and that it works very well, and that my mom did it and we turned out fine (insert your own joke here...I am sure any problems are in no way related to crying it out!). It seems logical that after a couple nights Lily would learn to soothe herself back to sleep, but it is so hard when every motherly instinct I have tells me to go to my baby when she is crying. Maybe we will go with the gradual method that the doctor also mentioned...at that rate she should be sleeping through the night by puberty!!!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh Kelly. I hear ya. I've been going through the same thing and I was meaning to post about it soon. I haven't tried the "cry it out" method yet, but I've certainly considered it. The problem usually isn't getting her to sleep (although that sometimes takes a little while too), the problem is how often she wakes up through the night. For example, down at 8, up at 11, 1, 330, 550, 7 for the day... She very rarely sleeps 3-4 hours at a time. Sometimes she's awake for ten minutes, sometimes an hour. I'm exhausted!