Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Gussy Up

About four and a half years ago, after my grandma passed away, my sisters, cousins, and I were invited to her condo to take certain things of hers that held special memories for us, before my dad and his siblings sold the condo. I took a variety of things that were important to me, as did everyone else. One thing I took was a little Rubbermaid step stool. I don't know why I took it. It didn't have any particular memory for me and was just a generic little plastic stool. I am guessing it had something to do with the fact that I had a 9 month old little girl at home and I was sure a step stool would figure into our near future. As it turned out, our bathroom wasn't big enough for a step stool and the little potty once the time came, so the stool sat in the garage. When I was hugely pregnant with Margie it was hard for me to lift Lily into her car seat, and while she could climb into the van, she couldn't quite climb into her car seat. So the little stool sat in the van by Lily's seat for about the past 2 years. We changed around the seats in the van this weekend and took the stool out. Lily can easily climb into her seat now and Margie, little monkey that she is, has no problem climbing into hers. Once again the stool was tucked away into the garage. Last night while I was making dinner, the girls were playing outside, digging in the rocks. I called them in to dinner and told them to wash their hands. Lily immediately started complaining how she isn't tall enough to wash her hands in the powder room. It's true. She can get the water on and wash her hands, but then screams her little head off that she can't shut off the water. So we brought in the step stool. I had been thinking we needed one for a while and now we had one handy. It fits nicely in front of the sink and you can still close the bathroom door. It also can be tucked under the vanity. Now we had a functional, if not plain, stool for our bathroom. Since I delude myself that I am crafty, and since I know Lily loves a project, I decided we would gussy up the stool while Margie napped today.

Before

After

This was not a fancy project. I just took a piece of scrapbooking paper I had in my stash and cut it to size, then glued it on and hit it with a couple coats of modge podge. I am not sure how well it will hold up, but it sure looks nicer than it did before. And, since I have an insane amount of scrapbook paper, we can change it up if we want. Maybe themed? Halloween, Christmas...well, that might be dorky. But I have been known to do some dorky things.


No comments: