Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend

I had a lovely Mother's Day weekend. It started Friday. I went to visit a friend and her adorable kids. We sat outside and talked and watched her kids run around and Lily walk up and down her driveway. Then we ordered pizza and talked some more. I just love sitting and talking with my really good friends...you know, the ones you have been friends with forever. The ones where you can tell a story and not need to give any back story, because they already know. We probably could have talked all night, but while we were on the couch talking (and watching the kids) Lily took a header into her coffee table. The thump her head made when it hit the table was enough to scare the spit out of me. Thankfully, when all was said and done, the fall seemed to upset me more than Lily. She does have a little cut on the outside corner of her eye and her eyelid looks like she put on some bad 80s eye shadow, but only when her eye is closed. It never ceases to amaze me how resilient she is and how quickly she heals!
On Saturday we went out to dinner with my in-laws. We went out for sushi, but I wasn't really feeling like sushi, so I ordered an actual meal off the menu. Apparently they forgot my meal, but I did get a free fancy roll out of it. It was pretty good, but by the time my food got there everyone else was pretty much done eating. However, maybe it was a good thing because I was trying to get an uncooperative toddler to eat while everyone else was eating. This way my food didn't get cold.
Sunday I slept in, got up to a pancake breakfast, and then we all went back to bed. It was awesome! Then we headed over to my parents house. My mom and I went to the nursery to get our veggies. This is our Mother's Day tradition. I have all my little plants sitting, just waiting to go into the ground. I have banana peppers, both hot and sweet, jalapenos, three kinds of tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, crook neck squash, butternut squash, spinach, and two kinds of lettuce. My garden isn't really big enough for all this, so I need to decide what I am going to put in containers. Oh yeah, I also have cilantro (corriander), basil, oregano, and parsley. I am thinking the peppers will go in containers, as well as maybe one of the tomato plants. I have a cute little herb pot that I got on clearance at the beginning of last summer that I will put the herbs in. The lettuces and spinach will go in my side garden which is rather shady, but lettuces don't need full sun. The rest I will squeeze into the regular garden. I need to get working on this, but I also need to come up with a plan to keep the dogs out of the garden. I think we are going to actually get ties and tie up the dogs when we let them out. I feel bad doing this to Lucy, since it is mostly Eli that uses the garden as a buffet, but I can't be sure. The dog(s) jump the chicken wire fence to get into the garden, so just fencing it off isn't really an option. I could use a higher, more sturdy fence, but I need to be able to get into it. Tying up the dogs also will give me the benefit of having some area of the yard that isn't a big doggie bathroom where I can let Lily run around. I see a trip to Home Depot in my future...
Anyway, we had a yummy dinner of ribs and mozzarella and tomato salad and rice and my parents. My mom is seriously the best cook ever! She makes the best ribs! It was a great Mother's Day weekend. Oh yeah, and for gifts I got some money, which is going towards my much needed pedicure!, slippers, earrings, and a pair of Crocs sandals. But the best gifts are the fact that I am a mommy. Lily is the best gift ever! A close second was spending the weekend with friends and family I love. Really, it is the simple things. I love spending time with my family! I hope all my mommy friends had great weekends as well!

No comments: